Feel Better & Healthier By Treating Sleep Apnea in St. LouisDr Allan on Sleep Apnea Read Transcript
Sleep apnea is one of those new things that a lot of people have on their radar screen right now, and rightfully so. Sleep apnea can impact your wakefulness during the day, so too many car accidents happen because of it, because people are drowsy.
Sleep apnea has an impact on your general health. It can lead to increase in diabetes, heart disease, strokes, and now even Alzheimer's, they're starting to link that, and gum disease to sleep apnea. It's not good not to breathe.
So what's the dental role to that? The dental role is because one, we're in somebody's mouth. We see the tonsils. We see the throat more. We see the chipped teeth, which are coming from the sleep apnea, and we can give the patient an oral appliance that they more comfortably wear at night.
Too many people are rightfully diagnosed by the medical doctor, they're given a CPAP. CPAPs are not nice to have to use. They are the gold standard of care, but if I'm not using it because I can't wear it, it's not doing me any good. An oral appliance that's easy to wear will at least do some good, and many times for the mild to moderate cases, it does as much as the gold standard.
It's a no-brainer. It's so easy to wear. It's not at all intrusive, and not only does it protect my teeth from the grinding and clenching, my teeth don't move and become crowded. It's a retainer. It gives me much more restful sleep, and it is not good not to oxygenate and breathe at night, so if you can do something for that, that's a good thing.
Snoring loudly or waking up gasping for air is a common problem that increases the risk of dangerous medical issues and can even threaten your life. We treat sleep apnea in St. Louis with comfortable solutions that are easy to use. Addressing sleep complications at our office:
- Improves overall quality of sleep for you and your bed partner
- Decreases risk of serious illnesses like heart disease, stroke, and diabetes
- Eliminates snoring and breathing problems
- Reduces daytime fatigue and consistent headaches
- Increases your concentration and mental clarity
DentaLink is ready to assess your sleep problems and provide treatments that fit into your lifestyle. Set up an evaluation today or ask us about sleep apnea services during your dental cleanings and exams. Call our South County office at 314-334-1474.
Don’t Sleep On Treatments
As part of our family dentistry services, DentaLink provides state-of-the-art technology to assess your quality of sleep and levels of sleep apnea. The sleep disorder occurs whenever you experience pauses in breathing during sleep. Patents with serious sleep apnea can experience 30 or more pauses in breath an hour!
For years, dentists and general practitioners have treated sleep apnea with a CPAP. Yet patients often find the CPAP intolerable. We can review your sleep issues and even replace your CPAP with a more comfortable oral appliance.
Here’s how we treat sleep issues:
- At-Home Sleep Study — Instead of visiting a sleep lab, this device monitors your sleep from the comfort of your own bed. The device monitors oxygen levels while you sleep, and the data is sent to a board-certified doctor to diagnose the problem.
- Oral Appliance — For mild to moderate sleep apnea cases, we may eliminate the need for a CPAP by designing a comfortable oral appliance. The oral appliance moves the lower jaw forward to keep the airway open. It’s easy to use and transport and won’t dry out the mouth!
- Reduction in CPAP — For more severe sleep apnea cases, we may still be able to use the oral appliance with the CPAP so you can turn down the pressure on the CPAP machine.
Don’t let sleep apnea in St. Louis harm your life. Call 314-334-1474 to schedule an appointment.