Protect Your Bite From Damage with Mouthguards in Ballwin
A lot of patients don't realize how important an athletic mouthguard is. One, you can look at certain sports and they're rougher in some cases than other cases. Basketball games can be pretty rough in some cases and not. Wrestling, all kinds of different sports that people don't necessarily consider need a mouthguard should have a mouthguard.
A mouthguard's so important because there are two very basic things that it does. It protects the teeth, which for a general dentist is important, but it's important to everybody. The other thing that people miss is that the difference between a store-bought mouthguard and one that's fabricated in a dental office is it helps prevent you from damage to the joint, which is a terrible surgery. If I get a blow to my chin, and it's bad enough or in the right direction to where it's going to hurt my joint, it could hurt the base of the skull, the brain, or it could hurt that joint, and joint surgery is like back surgery. You're never the same again. It's terrible stuff.
It's so missed and so important, like coaches out there and everybody else, to have a good mouthguard, or the right kind of mouthguard, that is correct for that sport.
Our athletic mouthguards:
- Have a custom fit that protects your teeth better than store-bought mouthguards
- Don’t require an ineffective “boil-and-bite” process to adjust the fit
- Withstand abuse since they are made of high-quality materials
- Can be customized with team colors or other personalized features
If you’re interested in a mouthguard for sports, call The DentaLink at 636-496-8584.
We Offer Custom Mouthguards to Address Other Dental Issues
We offer custom mouthguards for other issues too, including bruxism. Ask about mouthguard options for:
- Sleep Apnea – A custom-made mouthguard will gently move your jaw into a position that keeps your airway free of obstruction while you sleep, so you can breathe easily.
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding) – Our dentists can fit you for a mouthguard that will protect your teeth from the destructive effects of a grinding habit.
- TMJ Disorders – A mouthguard can also relieve tension on your jaw to give you relief from a painful TMJ disorder.
- Headaches – To relieve chronic headaches, including migraines, our dentists can provide you with a special mouthguard called an NTI.
Take Good Care of Your Mouthguard to Extend Its Life
To get the maximum benefit from an athletic mouthguard and to ensure it lasts a long time, you should:
- Wear it every time you participate in your sport.
- Avoid chewing on it.
- Clean it after each use, either with non-abrasive toothpaste and a toothbrush with soft bristles, or in cool soapy water.
- Avoid exposing it to direct sunlight or high temperatures.
- Store it in a sturdy container with vents to allow air circulation.
- Bring it with you to your dental exams so our dentists can make sure it’s in good shape.
We can fit you for mouthguards in Ballwin that protect your teeth in a variety of situations. Call 636-496-8584 for an appointment.